AI has gotten so powerful that 1000-plus leaders signed a signatory wanting to stop it, among them Elon Musk, Steve Wozniak, and Tristan Harris of the Center for Humane Technology.
Notably absent was any representative from OpenAI
The letter reads:
Contemporary AI systems are now becoming human-competitive at general tasks, and we must ask ourselves: Should we let machines flood our information channels with propaganda and untruth? Should we automate away all the jobs, including the fulfilling ones? Should we develop nonhuman minds that might eventually outnumber, outsmart, obsolete and replace us? Should we risk loss of control of our civilization? Such decisions must not be delegated to unelected tech leaders. Powerful AI systems should be developed only once we are confident that their effects will be positive and their risks will be manageable.
Why Should AI Be Paused?
- AI is taking too many jobs and will take more.
- AI is being used to create fake news
- AI Labs are in a race to develop digital minds even they can’t control
- Governments need to step in for planning and management
- AI is smarter than us
- It’s moving way too fast and we are unsure of the outcome
- We risk loosing control of our civilization
This call is on all AI labs to immediately pause for at least 6 months the training of AI systems more powerful than GPT-4.
Do you want to be part of this? You can add your signature here